I Was Hungry (or: Thy Kingdom Come!)

Thanksgiving is quickly approaching! I don't think I'm alone when I say that the thanksgiving meal is my favorite of the year, closely followed by post-Thanksgiving turkey sandwiches. This is the time of the year where we are able to reflect on the blessings God has given us. A few years ago, Kristin and I went walking through antique stores and I saw a cheesy little sign that said, "Don't count your blessings, share them." Now at first glance that little truism seems trite and a bit cliché. But the more I have thought about it, especially in the light of the coming holiday, the more it has struck me, not just as profound, but as essential.

In Genesis 12:2 God tells Abram, "And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you, and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing." (RSV) We see here that a primary purpose of God's blessing to Abram was that he would in turn be a blessing from God to the nations.

We, as the children of Abraham, have that same duty. In fact, we aren't left in the dark about this task. In Matthew 25:31-46 Jesus gives us instruction on how we are to bless others. "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink; I was a stranger and you invited me in; I needed clothes and you clothed me; I was sick and you looked after me; I was in prison
and you came to visit me...I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." Our memory verse this week is 1 Corinthians 12:27, "Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it." We are Christ's Body! When Christ wants to touch someone, he uses his hands! When he wants to go to someone, he uses his feet!

Your homework this week is both the simplest and hardest homework ever. Read Matthew 25:31-46. As you reflect on how God has blessed you, ask God how He would have you be a blessing to "the least" among us. As you pray "Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done," also pray, "How can I help bring Your Kingdom into this world?"

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of a Memory

Commission

Finding Freedom: Part III - When Is Enough, Enough?