Choices, Choices

"This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the Lord is your life." Deuteronomy 30:19-20a

We are faced with a daily onslaught of choices—from the trivial choices of restaurant or brand of food at the supermarket, to choices of actions that hold our marriages, jobs, families, and lives in balance. There are life-choices, somewhere in between, that consume so much energy just in the choosing, that we may or may not have the energy to implement the action once we choose it (if we ever actually decide.)

In our passage of scripture this past Sunday, we heard that we shouldn’t be anxious about anything, but in all things with prayers, supplications, and with thanksgiving we should make our requests known to God (Philippians 4). How do we reconcile the anxiety we face over these choices with God’s command to not be anxious? What if I told you that if you were to make one choice, every other choice would become exponentially easier? Many years back I was faced with this choice, and it was a difficult one to make, but it has made all the difference in my life.

The choice is this: Will I obey God, or not?

I am not speaking of trusting in God at salvation, but rather I am speaking of discipleship, of total surrender to the will of God. Will I follow God where ever he may lead me, even if he led me into my worst fear? Will I obey God, even if God asks of me something I don’t want to give? Making that choice is often a fight to the death, for it is only when we are crucified with Christ that we find fulfilling life.

After that choice, every other choice fits into one of two categories: a choice that God has an opinion about, (in which case the decision is made by the previous choice), and a choice that God does not have an opinion about, (in which case is isn’t important enough for me to stress over).

Homework this week: If you are brave enough, realize that God wants every aspect of your being. Examine what that might mean. What would total obedience to God look like? Then, choose life so that you and your children may live.

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of a Memory

Commission

Final Thoughts