Family Resemblance

"I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."
—John 13:34-35

My son Israel looks just like his mother (I tell people, it's ok, because I was partial to her looks to begin with). Israel got my eyelashes, and I'm pretty sure that's it. In fact, I saw a t-shirt a couple of years ago that I've been tempted to buy for him because of its message: "I look like my mom, but I act like my dad."

I eagerly anticipated Naomi's arrival, wondering if maybe this time my image would be reflected in her little face. No such luck. Naomi got my fingers, and not much else. She looks just like her brother. You can tell that those two are siblings. They could be twins if they were a little closer in age.

I have this mental image of God in a maternity ward. Looking over his children, trying to see if any look like him. As each person enters into relationship with Jesus and becomes a "baby Christian," God points and says, "That one is mine!" and begins to look for the family resemblance.

"See!" I hear God exclaim to any who will listen, "That one has my compassion! That one has my sense of Justice. That little one over there shows my mercy. And that one over there, well she really looks like me, that one loves."

If we really want to look like God, if we really want the world to know whose we are, then we simply need to be loving. Love stands apart in the gallery of God's characteristics. God shows mercy; God delivers justice; but God is love. God doesn't just show love, God is love.

We seek justice for the oppressed because God is a just God, but if we are known for our justice alone, people will think we have a good social conscience. We have programs that reach out to the poor, we have programs to teach people about the Bible. We have programs out the wahzoo! But if we are known for our programs alone, people will either think that we have a lot of programs to offer or they will think that we are a busy people. But when we love, when we care for the needs of those around us out of love, when everything we do is characterized by love, then people will know that we belong to God.

Homework this week: Change the world...by sharing God’s love...one person at a time.

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of a Memory

Commission

Final Thoughts