Whose Voice? Part II: Where is your Pasture?

"My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me."
—John 10:27

Last week, we spoke about the place God's voice takes in our lives. It is a topic that has stuck with me all week, perhaps more than any previous article topic. As I reflected on last week’s homework,
Examine the voices in your day, both the voices of people, and of habits (e.g. How loud is the voice of your computer or TV compared to the voice of God?). Examine and set priorities based on your desire for the Shepherd’s voice in your life,

the question that embedded itself in my mind was, "Where is your pasture?" It's such a simple question, yet it is heavy with connotation.

The first question it raises is one of shepherds. Who or what am I letting shepherd me? Is it the TV Guide? Is it the Blogosphere or Facebook? Is it my favorite author? When I have a moment of free time, whose is the first voice I seek to help me fill it? I find myself, too often, following a different shepherd. To clarify, the things listed above are not evil or bad. To sit down and relax with a book or a football game on TV, can be cathartic. But when their influence in our lives begins to direct our choices, then we have allowed them, in some measure, to be our shepherd.

The second question it raises is one of diet. Anyone who lives in the Tulsa area knows that not all lawns are equal. In the same way, not all pastures are equal. The quality of the grass a sheep can get from one pasture will vary widely from what the sheep can get from another.

If we have Jesus as our shepherd, we will be fed with things that build up the image of God within us. We will be fed with things rich in love, joy and peace. When we have Jesus as our shepherd, anxiety is overcome by peace, frustration is overcome by patience, and fear is overcome by His perfect love.

Other shepherds, however, do not lead us to such green pastures. The other shepherds mentioned, are not out for our growth, but rather are out for their own glory. Jesus as a shepherd leads us to our salvation. Other shepherds invariably lead us to our destruction. They raise us to get fat, so they can sell our meat. Jesus raises sheep for the wool!

Homework this week: Examine the voices in your day, both the voices of people, and of habits (e.g. How loud is the voice of your computer or TV compared to the voice of God?). Examine and set priorities based on your desire for the Shepherd’s voice in your life.

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of a Memory

Commission

Final Thoughts