This Time

“For you have heard my vows, O God; you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name.” —Psalm 61:5

“It’s a new year and I am resolute! I get this way about once a year. I take a look in the mirror and see what effect the Christmas candies have had on my figure, and I make a decision: I am going to the gym. This year I’m even signing a contract as added incentive. I’ll have to pay whether or not I go. That’ll help me be more on top of it, right?”

The above statement was made in the minds of millions, just a few days ago. You and I, when we look at the resolutions made by others, turn our heads to the side and laugh a little. We feel a little sympathy for the naivety of the one making the resolution, and prepare to comfort them when they break it. We know that it won’t last. After all, the sit-com writers don’t lie. The comedians of our nation have spoken, and the stereotypes are firmly established. We all know that resolutions
don’t last.

And yet...

And yet, when the end of the year rolls around, we are compelled to examine our lives. We take a good look at how we lived out our lives on our last trip around the sun, and look to see what might be improved for our next trip. We “know” that resolutions don’t work, but the Times Square ball drops, and we find ourselves making some decision; maybe a small one to get things started, or maybe a jump-into-the-deep-end-of-the-pool kind of resolution, because this time it will be different.

This time. You may have fallen short of your goal every previous try, but this time will be different. This time you are more resolved! This time the goal is more important. This time the goal is reachable. And deep in your soul, there is a little bit of desperation praying a quiet prayer, “Lord, let it be different this time.”

This conversation may sound a little funny for this article. I purposefully framed this discussion of resolutions in fitness for the humor it produces. But there are resolutions that are being made that are anything but funny.
This year, I will be more loving toward my spouse.
This year I will be more kind toward my children.
This year I will spend more time reading my Bible.
This year I will spend more time in prayer.
This year I will give of myself to others.
This year I will give more to God’s kingdom.
It is only when our resolutions are combined with community and accountability that we will find the fulfillment and success we seek.

Homework this week: Examine the resolutions you made this year. Make sure they are measurable (I will read my Bible 30 min/day vs. I will read my Bible more). Go to someone whom you trust and from whom you can receive constructive criticism, and share your resolutions with them. Their encouragement and accountability together with your resolve and desire to improve will make this time different.

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of a Memory

Commission

Finding Freedom: Part III - When Is Enough, Enough?