Enter Here

“Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.” For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.
—Psalm100:4-5

At Wal-Mart the doors are clearly labeled “IN” and “OUT,” however, I rarely pay attention. It’s not on purpose, I just take the path of least resistance. The doors always open for me, regardless of the side I choose. Lately however, we’ve been shopping at Target, and Target is serious about those signs. I can stand in front of that “OUT” door all day long, and the door will not open for me.

There have been times in my life that when I would come to church it felt as though I were standing in front of a door that just would not open. My prayers, it seemed, bounced off the ceiling, and an automatic sliding door stood between me and the presence of God; opening for others, but not for me.

It would be easy to begin to think that the invisible barrier was normal, and that there was no way to really experience the presence of God. But to believe that would be akin to going to the store for our regular shopping trip, getting our cart from the parking lot, and heading up to the “OUT” door to wait.

We go to the store to buy the food and other supplies we need to live. How foolish to think that they would want us to stay outside, separated from those things we need. We come to church for relationship with one another and with God. What a tragedy it would be if we believed that we could not get close to God, or that he did not want to be close to us.

What then, is the key? Well, at the store, the key is using the right door. I think that is true at church too. What then, is the right door? According to the Psalmist, it is thanksgiving and praise. According to the Apostle Paul, it’s rejoicing in God! (Phil 4:4-20) But what does that mean for those who are in the midst of suffering? “Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say, ‘Rejoice.’” God is worthy of our praise, even when are in the midst of trial. There is always something to be thankful for; even if it is just that God has a history of comforting the afflicted and delivering the captive.

Homework this week. Throughout the week, and again on Sunday morning, practice entering the presence of God in joy. Like a small child at a store, observe and enjoy the way the doors fly open for you when you approach with joy.

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of a Memory

Commission

Final Thoughts