Walk With Me Lord

"But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you. All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you."
—John 16:13-15

For those of you who do not know, I grew up in the home of a United Methodist Evangelist. My father travels around the United States visiting churches of all sizes. He still travels approximately two hundred days a year. Of all the sermons I’ve heard him preach, and of all the statements I’ve heard him make, one stands out in my mind. It is a phrase that I hope I will never forget.

"There is no one, in all of history, who has known God any better than you can know him."

I think of Adam and Eve who walked in the cool of the evening with the manifest presence of God. They walked with God.

I think of Abraham, who left his country and his extended family to follow God to a land that God would reveal when they got there. He trusted God explicitly!

I think of David, the great king, the man after God’s own heart. I think of his son Solomon, the wise king.

I think of John, the beloved disciple, who lay his head on Jesus at the last supper. John, who walked with Jesus everywhere for three years.

I think of Peter, who left everything to follow Jesus, not only for three years, but until his own death.

I think of the great theologians throughout the ages, I think of the missionaries who have given it all to serve Christ. I think of those who have suffered greatly, or taken great risks for the sake of Christ. I think of all these people and ask, "How? How is it that I can know God like these people, many of whom walked with him, or saw his physical or manifest presence?"
We can know him because we were not left as orphans. God, who walked in the cool of the day and Jesus who walked with his disciples, have both sent us the Spirit of Truth, the Holy Spirit, who will walk with us today.

Homework this week: Pray, "Heavenly Father, break through my preconceptions, and reveal the Holy Spirit to me, showing me how you want to walk with me today."

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of a Memory

Commission

Final Thoughts