Recommendation

This past Friday, I took several members of our Praise Team down to Dallas for a retreat. It was a flying trip! We were gone for less than 30 hours. We had a full schedule, and there was hardly time to breathe, but I made sure that before we drove back we had dinner at Posados. In fact, any time I hear that someone is headed to Dallas for whatever reason, I make a point to stop them and say, "If you like Tex-Mex, you have to eat at Posados, there are four of five to choose from, google it. It is well worth your time."

What is the deal with Posados? It is quite simply the best Tex-Mex I have eaten in my life! I judge all other Mexican restaurants by how they compare. Posados is so good that I want to make sure those in my circle of influence experience it for themselves.

On a related note, I enjoy movies. I especially like obscure movies that tell a compelling story. When I find one that tops all of my expectations, I share that information. I have numerous friends and family members that call me before entering a movie theater, or before populating their Netflix cue, to see what I would recommend.

I know that I am not unique in this. We all have our areas of interest that we share with others. Even if you aren’t “a talker” there are some topics that you can’t keep silent about—a new restaurant, scientific theories, a new artist, sculptor, band, or even a new procedure at work. We are all skilled evangelists.

Somehow our concept of evangelism became distorted. We began to view it as handing out tracts, having all the answers, defending the faith, or convincing someone that they needed Jesus. Maybe your picture of evangelism was shaped by Billy Graham or a Televangelist. But evangelism is much simpler than we have made it. Simply put, evangelism is sharing something that is important to you with someone you know. It isn’t something that you need to take a course in, or pass a test to become certified. You already know everything you need to know, because you are only sharing your experiences and your own story.

"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect…"
—1 Peter 3:15

Homework this week: Ask yourself, "what is the reason for the hope that is in me?" Examine what God has done for you or in you that has made a difference in your life. Make a note of your answer. Ask God to give you the wisdom to know when to share.

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of a Memory

Commission

Final Thoughts