Refugee Status

"I love you, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer, my God, my rock in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised, so I shall be saved from my enemies."
—Psalm 18:1-3

Some days I feel like a refugee. Those days it feels like we live in a world torn apart by war. Perhaps it is in a tangible way as I watch the news and see the
exploding bombs of the political landscape or the physical wars where our young men and women are actively engaged in combat. But sometimes that war torn life is a little more subtle.

Sometimes we feel the war because of an unkind word, or a difficult circumstance. Sometimes we feel like political prisoners to someone else's opinion or whim. It happens all the time. One day you’re living your life, enjoying your community and family, and the next day the bomb has gone off, the company has been sold and you're out of a job. Even so, the bills keep piling up, and you find yourself truly fearful that the refugee tent may become a reality, rather than a metaphor. Hopefully, you’ll never have to face this, but many around us live it every day.

But this, this right here, is why we just celebrated Christmas. Because in Christ, God is with us. God is actively and currently with us. In celebrating what God did, we recognize what God continues to do. We are not left to face our wars alone. We have a refuge! The psalmist saw this, and rejoiced in it. Psalm after psalm after psalm is filled with the language of God as a refuge, as a strong tower, a shield, and rock that cannot be moved. The psalmist saw the terror of war, he experienced first hand those who plotted against his life (and not just figuratively), and in those moments, he cried out to God, and rejoiced in the coming salvation of God. A salvation that he was not currently experiencing, but trusted in. He knew that God would deliver him from his enemies because God was faithful. How much more can we trust in God to bring us safely home? God is with us.

Homework this week: One of the ways that God is with us, is through the action of his Church (the Body of Christ). Ask yourself, and ask God, "How can I be a refuge for someone else on God's behalf? What things could I do to shelter someone who is experiencing 'refugee status?'"

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of a Memory

Commission

Finding Freedom: Part III - When Is Enough, Enough?